Your favorite Final Fantasy game

SightfulRage

PSLS Level: Bronze
Come one, Come all. To the continuation of the "Best Final Fantasy game" discussion that hijacked the All-time favorite game thread. All opinions are welcomed.​

I couldn't stand the rejected Midgets from the Willow movie that made up the cast of FF9.

I assure you good sir, that these we're no "rejects" from the Willow movie. If anything, the Willow movie's casting director wishes they could land any one of those top notch character designs.

But back to judging books by their covers again, The character designs were a little... :oops:... Off-putting. It's been a long time since I played but were the characters meant to be children? A few of them have very childish looking facial features.

I still stick by Final Fantasy VIII. The junctioning system in the game was absolutely amazing. Loved the draw system as well as the GF's. Characters were extremely relatable. And it honestly had the most kickass airship EVER.

Those Willow rejects almost made FF9 unplayable for me, but I eventually finished it. I'll say 9 has the best Chocobo mini game, FFVIII is my all time favorite F2F game.

I dunno about "best," objectively speaking, but as far as a personal favorite goes, I'd probably have to say VIII. Actually, I'm rather pleasantly surprised to see so many others favoring the game here, since it generally got an extremely divided reaction out of fans (from what I've seen, anyway). I will openly admit that the game is flawed as hell, with some of its flaws being kind of hilarious to seriously think about, but nevertheless, the game really just does a lot of things right, and I feel that the rights outweigh the wrongs.

Rather than repeating what nearly everyone else has already said, I'd just like to point out one particular feature I loved in VIII: Card Mod. What a fucking brilliant way to mix your card minigame, item collection, and -- with the appropriate refining skills -- the junction system all together, to make Triple Triad more than just a random game to play on the side. (Also of note, related to this: the Card ability.) Hell, Card Mod is always one of the first skills that I unlock, as I consider it pretty much essential in building characters' stats up, or otherwise obtaining all sorts of items easily.

And while I'm on the Triple Triad note, let me just mention: I have real Triple Triad cards. No joke. xD

For one more reason I love the game: the soundtrack is just, like, perfect. Or damn close to it. There were very few tracks that I did not enjoy to some extent or other, and I think as far as an overall product goes, it's one of the most enjoyable soundtracks of the series.

Also, this.

Last edited:
So I've been tossing around this idea about the FFX HD collection - how awesome would Blitzball be for online multiplayer and with DLC? If SE likes Lightning and Cloud so much, why can't I have them playing for my Blitzball team?

Just an idea or 3...

I dunno about "best," objectively speaking, but as far as a personal favorite goes, I'd probably have to say VIII. Actually, I'm rather pleasantly surprised to see so many others favoring the game here, since it generally got an extremely divided reaction out of fans (from what I've seen, anyway). I will openly admit that the game is flawed as hell, with some of its flaws being kind of hilarious to seriously think about, but nevertheless, the game really just does a lot of things right, and I feel that the rights outweigh the wrongs.

Rather than repeating what nearly everyone else has already said, I'd just like to point out one particular feature I loved in VIII: Card Mod. What a fucking brilliant way to mix your card minigame, item collection, and -- with the appropriate refining skills -- the junction system all together, to make Triple Triad more than just a random game to play on the side. (Also of note, related to this: the Card ability.) Hell, Card Mod is always one of the first skills that I unlock, as I consider it pretty much essential in building characters' stats up, or otherwise obtaining all sorts of items easily.

And while I'm on the Triple Triad note, let me just mention: I have real Triple Triad cards. No joke. xD

For one more reason I love the game: the soundtrack is just, like, perfect. Or damn close to it. There were very few tracks that I did not enjoy to some extent or other, and I think as far as an overall product goes, it's one of the most enjoyable soundtracks of the series.

I kind of rushed through making this thread. I had a bunch of errands to run early on in hopes that I would be home in time to sit by the door waiting for the Fedex drive to delivery Second Son. But you are right, "Best" wasn't the word that should have been included. And to be honest, I was surprised so many people had ff8 as their favorite. as well. I'm not sure what the knock was but in most forums and comment sections I've passed through, ff8 was either last in the big 3 or not even on the map.

I'm curious to read what flaws you found in it? Being that I played it so young, I most likely glossed right over them.

I feel so ashamed to say that I never used the whole card side quest to its fullest potential like you did. I knew of the card refinement process but being that I was just out there on my own Pokemon crusade (trying to catch 'em all), I would never think to destroy my cards for items.

These Triple Triad cards, did they come in a full set or did you have to buy packs 10 or so at a time?

So I've been tossing around this idea about the FFX HD collection - how awesome would Blitzball be for online multiplayer and with DLC? If SE likes Lightning and Cloud so much, why can't I have them playing for my Blitzball team?

Just an idea or 3...

For some reason, I remember blitzball not being as fluid as some of the legit sports titles. I remember spamming the heck out of buttons trying to get my players to pass but they just swam in circles till an opposing player came up and took the ball away. I'd yell, "pass the ball to Tidas!!!" Then get all mad when we wound up losing because for everyone but Tidas, the game was some Benny Hill yakety sax clip. When their contracts were up, I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. If they could fix that, adding it into the collection would be great.

How did you figure it would work? An inclusion of all ff "Party capable" characters? Or would it be primarily set in a ff10 setting with highlights from other "eras"?

Personally I would have to say FF VIII. While I think 7 was an excellent game, I enjoyed 8 the most of any of the FF games so far.

I'm curious to read what flaws you found in it? Being that I played it so young, I most likely glossed right over them.
A lengthy read, but this does a pretty good job of pointing out many of the game's flaws. (Quite amusingly, at that.)

These Triple Triad cards, did they come in a full set or did you have to buy packs 10 or so at a time?
Got them a few packs at a time, at some foreign-goods store that used to be at a mall in the area. They had all sorts of FF merch, ranging from Triple Triad cards to Cactuar and Tonberry plushes to Bahamut and Diablos statues/figurines.

never played any final fantasy games except for dissidia, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

How did you figure it would work? An inclusion of all ff "Party capable" characters? Or would it be primarily set in a ff10 setting with highlights from other "eras"?

Maybe a Dissidia-type cast would be sufficient, but set in FFX with more FFX|X-2 characters (the Maesters, Paine, O'Aka, etc.).

Now that I think more about it, they could make the gameplay more fluid and just sell it as a standalone title.

Well don't feel like you guys have to only talk about the final fantasy 7-10, there's a whole lot of FF games!

Personally I would have to go with FF6 being my favorite, and rightfully so. The story is great, the battle system and customization is awesome, and the "Main" cast is great too. Though each games have their good and bad parts. Like Final Fantasy 5, it goes unrecognized for the most part, but that game is amazing, it's battle system and class system is awesome, the story is a little ridiculous but kind of funny and charming, and it introduced us to Gilgamesh, I'd have to say FF5 is the most fun one i've played. Then there are the others, which i enjoyed/didn't enjoy for various reasons.

Like Final Fantasy 5, it goes unrecognized for the most part, but that game is amazing, it's battle system and class system is awesome, the story is a little ridiculous but kind of funny and charming, and it introduced us to Gilgamesh, I'd have to say FF5 is the most fun one i've played.
I only played partway through FFV, but I definitely have to agree that, if nothing else, it's got a great class/job system. IIRC, I liked Tactics' more, but V's was definitely pretty awesome.

As for VI... Sadly, I kinda just dropped it at endgame. <_<; Was in the middle of power-grinding everyone for the final dungeon, and just kinda stopped playing, for some reason or other, and never got back to it. To the best of my knowledge, I still have the save file, at least, so perhaps I'll get around to finishing it sometime... maybe... But at any rate, I definitely remember it being a great entry in the series. At the very least, the best of the pre-PSX titles, but I don't remember it well enough to compare it to anything further.

...I abruptly dropped XII, too, actually. xD Enjoyed the game plenty, but just couldn't seem to care enough about the story to actually finish it. I did all of the Hunts up through Behemoth King (because that was as far as I was willing to go -- screw Yiazmat) and then just stopped playing at some point. I had the final area open to me and all... Actually, on one sleepless night, I did half-assedly run into the final dungeon, and made it up to The Undying, but... from what I recall, he keeps swapping negation barriers or something? And he had a gun attack or something, which was causing ridiculous amounts of damage... Suffice it to say, I didn't make it through. The previous battles were all fine, but for whatever reason, I just couldn't get through that one, nor did I care enough to even try again since then.
</rambling>

On a final note on XII, though: freaking fantastic AI control in that game. While I can understand the criticism of the battle system being a "sit and watch" one, you have to admit the Gambit system was probably the best AI control, like... dare I say ever?

Last edited:
What didn't you like about it?
The controls / gameplay were particularly bad in Dissidia. I didn't play the second one to see if it ever got better, but Dissidia seemed like an excellent concept that wasn't put together well.

Well don't feel like you guys have to only talk about the final fantasy 7-10, there's a whole lot of FF games!
I had to talk about FFVIII being my favorite, and the easiest ways to compare it with others was to look at 7 and 9.

terra.jpg
Terra, the link between Final Fantasy and Akira Toriyama

But FFVI was awesome, too! While the jobs system in FFV was cool and all, FFVI showed us that it was okay to have Super Saiyan warriors in a Final Fantasy game (I'm looking at you, Terra!). I think that Akira Toriyama was a huge influence on this game. Not only does Terra's esper transformation make her look like a lavender Super Saiyan, but Cyan looks like Mercenary Tao.

cyan.jpg tao.png
Cyan from FFVI (left), Mercenary Tao from Dragon Ball (right)

Also, Kefka just showing up at random and laughing all the time was a great comic relief to the game, and probably made him the most memorable enemy in any Final Fantasy game for me, save for Sephiroth. Honestly, I think Kefka should have been in the Colosseum in Kingdom Hearts instead. He deserves the honor.

Dissidia_Kefka_Speech.jpg
Kefka in Dissidia

The story was silly enough to be entertaining, but it was engaging enough to make you want to see what was next as well. I would definitely put FF6 in my top 5 Final Fantasy choices. In order, I would say they are:
1. Final Fantasy VIII
2. Final Fantasy X
3. Final Fantasy (Dawn of Souls version)
4. Final Fantasy VI (Anthology version)
5. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

ultros.jpg
Ultros may be my favorite boss battle of all time.

Kefka was great. You could never take him seriously, and then all of a sudden, "that" happened, and shit got real. And frankly, while he may have been batshit crazy, he was actually a more successful villain than any other I can think of in the series. (For reasons that I'll refrain from detailing, for sake of avoiding spoilers.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
enzo0
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"