(Vita) Metrico: Flawed, but charming.

idillicah

PSLS Level: Bronze
So, basically I've been on a gaming drought because of work and "serious adult stuff" IRL. But I've been really looking forward to Metrico, so when it came out today as the FREE game of the month with PS+, I got really excited.

Of course, this is in no small amount due to the medium-moderate hype the press gave the game before it came out (also helped by a bit of a drought on the PS Vita release calendar these past weeks).

I am happy to report, after an hour and a bit of playing with Metrico, that it is indeed very charming. I love puzzle platformers, specially indie ones (Limbo, oh Limbo, I love thee so), so Metrico tickles my puzzling fancy quite a bit.

The gameplay is really interesting, and the way the Vita controls have been added didn't seem intrusive to me (although I've read that some people don't share this view with me).

As with many other puzzle-platformers, Metrico does not rely on impressive graphics (although it looks rather beautiful on its own right) or explosive sound design. Metrico is about solving platforming puzzles.

There is no story AT ALL. Mechanics is the name of the game, and the ideas behind the level design are really quite fantastic.
metrico-vita-2.jpg
Graphically, Metrico sets itself apart by using infographics, which I quite like (infographics being a big part of my job). In the sound department, it's mostly the equivalent of elevator music: it's not offensive, but don't look for "Samorost" levels of creativity in the score department.

The one thing that holds back Metrico is... well, a couple of technical issues, really.

Frame rates and load times, that plague of even big-name releases such as Borderlands 2, makes another nefarious appearance in Metrico.

The frame drops are not bad, but it's a bit of a puzzle in itself that a game with such simple graphics is having to deal with this sort of thing on the Vita.

Also, there are some control imperfections (specifically with jumping), that will sometimes mean that you'll have to re-do a puzzle because "the guy" didn't jump.

All in all, though, these issues don't take much away from the overall experience.

An experience which isn't life-changing. It has no altruistic motives. It has no commentary on the meaning of life.

Metrico is a simply a good, honest-to-Arceus puzzle platformer that's a blast to play in short bursts.

Good review, though I can honestly say I took one look at the screenshots and said PASS.. just didn't look like my type of game.

Good review, though I can honestly say I took one look at the screenshots and said PASS.. just didn't look like my type of game.

Thank you! I was the other way around with it. I wanted to play it as soon as I saw it. Methinks you and I have different gaming needs, @Lifewish!

Thanks for the review, @idillicah! The game does not appear to be anything that I would like, though I like that you objectively mentioned everything that you thought was wrong with it despite liking it so much. :D

It sounds like one of those really terrible games that can be really fun. hahaha

Haha the game is actually a really good platformer! If you liked Limbo, chances are you're gonna like Metrico. But it isn't without faults, sadly.

And you're very welcome!

My issue with Metrico is that while it starts out great and innovative, it crams every feature in unnecessarily and just becomes an unsalvageable wreck. I felt like I was fighting with the puzzles by the end, didn't feel a sense of accomplishment , but rather a sense of relief when I completed one, and was more than happy to turn off my Vita when the credits finally rolled. I commend the effort, but the execution needs to fell more supplemental and natural than forced.

I have yet to reach the end, but I'm really liking the game so far. I haven't felt forced... yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"