PSLS' Morning Wood Ep. 081: Horror Scares and Final Fantasy XV

stolenxnametag

PSLS Level: Kraken
PSLS Ambassador
On Morning Wood Episode 081, @Chandler Wood and @D'yani talk about how easy it is to donate to Extra Life, a survival horror game that could possibly break the mold, hoping for the Final Fantasy series to use a Phoenix Down, and the constant changes going on in Destiny. Donate to Extra Life and check out this TGS-centric episode of Morning Wood like it's your destiny!

Extra Life
Chandler sends a heartfelt "Thank You" to Jason who won the RedBox codes from his generous donation to Chandler's Extra Life charity. You can donate to Chandler's Extra Life fund here (you can donate to mine in my signature, as well).

Silent Hills
After playing through P.T. and watching the new Tokyo Game Show trailer for Silent Hills, Chandler discussed the atmospheric and creepy bunches of loving goodness that Silent Hills is expected to offer. I have not played a solid survival horror game in a really long time, and this trailer really gave me a taste of what I hope will be the one to redefine the genre. The doors creak, the walls come alive, things shake and transform into terrifying other things - this is what I have been waiting to play. I know I am really riding the hype train on this, but Kojima is usually excellent at delivering great content. Watch the concept video for greatness!

Greatness awaits. Bring your diapers.

Kojima also stated that he has been seeing into possibly releasing Silent Hills in episodic format after considering how television series are released in seasons. Thinking about things this way, there are a few good and bad ways to take the news:

Good:
- Faster delivery. It wouldn't be like waiting for Metal Gear Solid V, where the details keep creeping until finally they cave and go, "You know what? Here is Ground Zeroes. We will release the rest of the game some other time." Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes suffered quite a few insults from fans all over the Internet primarily because of its short length, but the more objective crowd pointed out the enormous amount of replayability from the extra missions and the games "play it however you want to" approach.
- The game could be tailored to how well each part was received. For instance: in P.T., there are a few hard-to-trigger sequences that can make it difficult to figure out the puzzle and finish it. Seriously, do yourself a favor and read the walkthroughs online if you have not already. There are a lot of confused people out there who border on fringe conspiracy theorists when writing this stuff. If fans freak out too much about how tedious an element is and give it enough bad press, then the devs could tweak certain aspects of the next episode while working to patch some of the weirdness in the episodes that have been released already.
- Convenience. People like me who have 100s of games in their backlog from PS Plus would probably appreciate a game like Silent Hills in doses, which would keep them from neglecting the several other games that they have been wanting to play.

Bad:
- Losing the atmosphere. When I play a really creepy and atmospheric title, I do not want it to pan out like Dragon Ball Z did whenever I was a kid. "Want to see if Goku can survive his transformation after screaming for 11 episodes during a 5-minute fight on Namek? Join us next week, on Dragon Ball Z!!" It can easy to lose the magic that is being created during the build-up of atmospheric effects in a horror title. Playing like 5 hours of a game to only find that the next 5 hours do not exist until next month would become very annoying for me.
- Cash grabbing. Unless you buy a season pass for this game, the publishers could charge like $10 or more for each episode! If the game is divided into 6 episodes, maybe it would not seem so bad to pay $60 for it. However, if it is divided into 9 or 10 episodes, you could end up having to pay $100 for the full Silent Hills experience, unless you are lucky enough to catch a bundle during a PS Plus sale or something like that. A lot of gamers do not generally want to keep throwing money at the same game unless it is for microtransactions to boost their experience.
- Fans are already pissed off. Read the comments in all of the articles online talking about this. People are nonsensically angry about having to lose the continuity, potentially pay too much money, or play a game that has too slow of a release schedule.

Final Fantasy XV
Starting several years ago as a big E3 announcement for Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Final Fantasy XV is one of our hottest vaporware jokes anymore, ranking closely to The Last Guardian, I would guess. The game development has been through some serious staffing changes, and we have not seen too much about it since its initial reveal. Now we suddenly have a gameplay trailer that looks like Kingdom Hearts had a baby with Final Fantasy XIII! Let the speculations begin!

Somebody looks hungry!

Like Chandler, I am cautiously excited for this game. I was excited for Final Fantasy XIII, and it just did not meet my expectations at all. When Final Fantasy XIV was announced as an MMO, I was even more upset. I want to see what the deal is with driving cars with monsters everywhere, and I want to see what has been taking so long for this game to be finished. Is it an open world / overworld crossover title like Final Fantasy X was? Are we going to have a real overworld like we did with Final Fantasy IX and all of the games before it? Are the summons going to be mini-menu commands like in Kingdom Hearts? It is all hard to say right now, but I am slowly tuning down my hype for this title.

Destiny
D'yani does not want to play Destiny without Chandler, but she is having issues because that would require two PS4s in the house. Our hosts wanted to know if two PS4s and one Plus account can allow for two people to play the same game online. According to the Official PlayStation website, a Plus subscriber's secondary PS4 has no access to Online Multiplayer. This means that D'yani will have to get a second PS4 and a subscription to PS Plus. It looks like the two of them are going to have to fork and pencil out some serious dough in order to mainline Destiny together!

THat's what I was afraid of. Really sucks that two people who want to game together in teh same house not only have to double up on console and game, but also on Plus subscriptions, which would honestly offer no additional benefit other than online play....

THat's what I was afraid of. Really sucks that two people who want to game together in teh same house not only have to double up on console and game, but also on Plus subscriptions, which would honestly offer no additional benefit other than online play....
I guess this is why people are so critical about devs not making split-screen games anymore. :(

I guess this is why people are so critical about devs not making split-screen games anymore. :(

I dunno if they still have their ps3 but if they did it would solve their problem if the gameplay was also cross-platform, but alas it tis not.

I dunno if they still have their ps3 but if they did it would solve their problem if the gameplay was also cross-platform, but alas it tis not.
We still have the PS3 as well as a Vita, so we get lots of gaming, just not a ton of gaming together. Really wish I could play Destiny with her.

We still have the PS3 as well as a Vita, so we get lots of gaming, just not a ton of gaming together. Really wish I could play Destiny with her.
I was telling a friend of mine a few days ago about your dilemma. It's amazing to me how much money it would cost for the two of you to play Destiny together. I mean, let's use simple math:
$450 - Destiny PS4 bundle
$050 - PS Plus Subscription for @D'yani
$??? - Second tv

Assuming that the two of you have a second tv already, it would cost $500 for you to play Destiny together. If you need a new tv, tack on at least another $200 if you're buying new. That's insane!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"