PSLS' Morning Wood Ep. 073: The Pros and Cons of the Gamer Culture

stolenxnametag

PSLS Level: Kraken
PSLS Ambassador
On Morning Wood Episode 073, @Chandler Wood and @D'yani answered the weekly email from @thewolfnears, as well as one from another viewer. The first question: what are the best and worst things about gaming culture? The second was a preview of an upcoming Ask PSLS segment: What tales should TellTale Games tell? Not pictured: cat fights in the background!

Best and Worst of Gaming Culture
Through the camaraderie of gaming, we're able to have programs like Extra Life, which is a charity that benefits your choice of Children's Miracle Network hospitals (you can donate to Team PSLS here). Unfortunately, this charity came from the perceived necessity to correct the perception that so many have of gamers being terrible people. The old couch potato / basement dweller trope combined with the school shootings, hate crimes, and other sorts of violent / self destructive acts contrived by the media circus really makes gamers look bad. Let's us also not forget that the young 18-32 crowd, a main target demographic for gaming, is often perceived as lazy and inefficient by older generations who did not have as tough of a time finding jobs when the world economy was much better.

Columbine_Shooting_Security_Camera.jpg
On April 20, 1999, two students at Columbine High School in Colorado shot up their school. As authorities sought answers for why that happened, video games were among the suspected culprits.

Gaming culture used to be more of a niche environment, but as video games became a more mainstream thing, it became easier to correlate a number of problems with people who play video games. The problem with that logic is that several people from all walks of life are gamers now, so a causal relationship is kind of difficult to prove. It's easy to look at percentages of gamers who are violent offenders and cherry pick the data to death to make it say anything we want. Is there a correlation between gamers and young people committing crimes? Of course. There is also a strong correlation between people with cancer who have consumed water at some point in their lives. I'm glad that Extra Life exists, and I hope to see more programs like this in the future.

badjournalism.jpeg
Bad journalism makes me want to... play video games.

Entitlements are big negative in gaming culture. While it is okay to ask for more when you are paying $60 for a new release, $400+ for a console, $50+ annually for online services, etc., people still take it to extremes. The ending of Mass Effect 3, I think, is the greatest example of this. People whined so much about it that Bioware went back and released a patch with extra content for the end of the game in an effort to acquiesce them (unsurprisingly, it did not work). Seriously, I don't know what's up with people. While video games tell stories and have characters and all of that, they are also the creative and immersive figments of the creators' imaginations. Forcing the creators to change their vision of how something went is like telling telling a classical composer that they scored a composition incorrectly or telling a taxidermist that a fish they stuffed needs a robot leg.

misery.jpg
Stephen King wrote an excellent book about fan entitlement, which was later adapted into a terrifying movie, Misery.

One of the most fascinating innovations in current generation consoles is the social aspects programmed into them. Allowing gamers to capture their progress in games and livestream them as they are being played is a really cool way to help move the gaming culture forward. As gamers, we are both actors and critics. With the ability to share what it is that we are feeling in real time as we play the roles of the protagonists in these games, I think Sony and Microsoft have nailed it. Sure, we still have to deal with trolling, but the benefit seems to be greater than the cost on gamers in the greater scheme of things. Sony's super successful launch of the PlayStation 4 has been a great indicator that something is going right, correct?

PS4_share_button.jpg
Greatness in real time!

Second Email??!!! Tell The Tales!
When I think of TellTale games, I don't think of stories such as Orange is the New Black. Admittedly, I've only see the first few episodes of the first season, but that doesn't change my view at all. Like Chandler stated, a story should have a beginning, catharsis, and ending. Set the exposition through the first episode, keep building it up until the fifth, and then end that story / segment with the fifth episode. D'yani's point about entrenching the player into the story is important, too. When I play something episodic, I want it to be like a good book. I want it to make me impatient enough to keep turning the page. With those things in mind, I think that TellTale would need to pick a busy story. As a fan of anime cartoons, I think FLCL would make an awesome TellTale game. FLCL (pronounced as Fooly Cooly in the English market) has one of the most intense, in-your-face constructs of entertainment that I've ever experienced. A video game for this series is well overdue, and I think TellTale could really do this one justice. There are only 6 episodes in the series, so it almost fits with the episodic format that TellTale uses already! C'mon guys, make it happen!

flcl.jpg
In a nutshell, this is the story of FLCL.

I think that the pro's of gaming are that games can be fun and provide genuine entertainment and even help teach.
the cons are the gamers who take the games to seriously, have bad attitudes, mistake it for real life, let it interfere with life itself, and get addicted.
I was at my neurologist's the other day and in one of the neurological magazines they had, there was an article that explained why video games are bad for teenagers and children. I'm currently looking for the article online, when i find it i'll put a link up.
A little something for parents/parents to be to mull over

http://patients.aan.com/resources/n...ovid.com:/bib/ovftdb/01222928-201410030-00017

Last edited:
I was at my neurologist's the other day and in one of the neurological magazines they had, there was an article that explained why video games are bad for teenagers and children. I'm currently looking for the article online, when i find it i'll put a link up.
A little something for parents/parents to be to mull over

http://patients.aan.com/resources/neurologynow/index.cfm?event=home.showArticle&id=ovid.com:/bib/ovftdb/01222928-201410030-00017
A psychological addiction is still an addiction. There is no need to make up new addiction terms to mask the fact that someone has an addiction.

A psychological addiction is still an addiction. There is no need to make up new addiction terms to mask the fact that someone has an addiction.

I wasn't refering to the addiction part, i was referring to the part about games effecting the development of a childs and teenagers brain.

I wasn't refering to the addiction part, i was referring to the part about games effecting the development of a childs and teenagers brain.
Sorry for not being more clear. I was speaking specifically of the context within the beginning of the article. It appears that researchers are trying to manufacture new illnesses for research grants, when in reality they already have what it is they need to diagnose the problem.

It's fascinating to see these new developments of children who play too many games, though. It's almost like parents simply aren't parenting their children. I wonder what the problem is?

Sorry for not being more clear. I was speaking specifically of the context within the beginning of the article. It appears that researchers are trying to manufacture new illnesses for research grants, when in reality they already have what it is they need to diagnose the problem.

It's fascinating to see these new developments of children who play too many games, though. It's almost like parents simply aren't parenting their children. I wonder what the problem is?

I think the problem for most parents is now a days alot of them see the consoles as babysitters. A friend of mine who is going thru a divorce and to keep his kids busy on occasion he bought them a tv for their room. Great way to start an early tv addiction.

It makes me wonder how we could've let things get so bad without realizing it.

Last edited:
In the comments section of this particular episode of Morning Wood, The Digital Voice commented:

"The best part about gamer culture would have to be that it has no boundaries. It's really quite a worldwide phenomenon that encompasses people of all nationalities, ethnic backgrounds, age and gender. It's the most interactive form of entertainment in the world and it's become the most popular social experience since 'going outside and hanging out with friends' was invented!!

The worst part about the gamer culture is the stigma attached to it. Unfortunately, there are still people in the world who think that games are just for kids. There are still people who think violence in video games equals violence in life. There are still people who believe that video games have negative effects on social skills development in children. There are people who know next to nothing about video games - the culture, the content, the social connection, the art and creativity gaming involves - who want to regulate it or end it entirely. Ignorant and uneducated!"

And I agree, partly because 'I am The Digital Voice', but mostly because I believe it is true!

As far as the BabysitterBox One or the RaisemychildStation 4 or the WiiUteachmykid consoles, two things become immediately clear.

1. Today's parenting is based around electronics. It doesn't end with consoles either. It goes as far as computers, laptops, tablets and smart phones.
2. With regard to console gaming, many ignorant parents still think consoles and video games are 'toys'. They tell their kids to go play with their 'toys' and since they (the parents) don't play with toys, they pay little, if any, attention to them.

That is why, during the holidays, I see parents buying games like GTA V and Saints Row 4 for their 10 and 11 year old children. When the retailer explains the content ratings etc. the parents just shrug their shoulders like they suddenly forgot how to speak and hand over their cash. And there are usually two scenarios with this.

1. The parent doesn't know how to say no, set boundaries and rules, allows the child to make the decisions.
2. The parent doesn't care enough about the kinds of content their children are subjected to as a result of exposure to mature game content or prolonged periods of gaming. Then there's the online bullying etc. that goes on with kids and even adults. Its a topic for discussion that should be openly addressed. And there you go. Now you have another topic for both Ask PSLS and Morning Wood. :)

In the comments section of this particular episode of Morning Wood, The Digital Voice commented:

"The best part about gamer culture would have to be that it has no boundaries. It's really quite a worldwide phenomenon that encompasses people of all nationalities, ethnic backgrounds, age and gender. It's the most interactive form of entertainment in the world and it's become the most popular social experience since 'going outside and hanging out with friends' was invented!!

The worst part about the gamer culture is the stigma attached to it. Unfortunately, there are still people in the world who think that games are just for kids. There are still people who think violence in video games equals violence in life. There are still people who believe that video games have negative effects on social skills development in children. There are people who know next to nothing about video games - the culture, the content, the social connection, the art and creativity gaming involves - who want to regulate it or end it entirely. Ignorant and uneducated!"

And I agree, partly because 'I am The Digital Voice', but mostly because I believe it is true!

As far as the BabysitterBox One or the RaisemychildStation 4 or the WiiUteachmykid consoles, two things become immediately clear.

1. Today's parenting is based around electronics. It doesn't end with consoles either. It goes as far as computers, laptops, tablets and smart phones.
2. With regard to console gaming, many ignorant parents still think consoles and video games are 'toys'. They tell their kids to go play with their 'toys' and since they (the parents) don't play with toys, they pay little, if any, attention to them.

That is why, during the holidays, I see parents buying games like GTA V and Saints Row 4 for their 10 and 11 year old children. When the retailer explains the content ratings etc. the parents just shrug their shoulders like they suddenly forgot how to speak and hand over their cash. And there are usually two scenarios with this.

1. The parent doesn't know how to say no, set boundaries and rules, allows the child to make the decisions.
2. The parent doesn't care enough about the kinds of content their children are subjected to as a result of exposure to mature game content or prolonged periods of gaming. Then there's the online bullying etc. that goes on with kids and even adults. Its a topic for discussion that should be openly addressed. And there you go. Now you have another topic for both Ask PSLS and Morning Wood. :)
Great input, and I agree, this is something that needs to be addressed. Perhaps in a Now Loading... feature?

It's not just console gaming that's a problem but PC as well. Hell i was at a restaurant the other night with my family, while there i saw a family who had a little girl she sat there playing on her little tablet the whole time only pausing to eat. No interaction with anyone around her. Sad, and bad parenting right there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"