PS4 Questions

Anthrophobic

PSLS Level: Newbie
I have owned my PlayStation 4 console for around 8 months now and have yet to have over heating issues, but I want to get opinions from others. My console is turned on for at least 12, if not more, hours throughout a day, everyday. I have yet to have an overheating problem with my console, but I always get a burning plastic smell from my console, and it is extremely hot near the back right of the console. The console lays down with around a foot of space on all four sides of the console. The table that it sits on is extremely hot to the touch, but not hot enough I can't leave my hand there. I use q-tips and cans of air to clean the vents out at least once a week to ensure that the console is breathing properly. I do not feel any heat coming from the side vents of the console, just the back right of the console where the power cord is plugged into. The amount of hot air pouring out of the vent has me extremely worried. The air makes the top of the system near the back right hot, the table, and the wires.

When I turn my system off, rather standby mode, I will ocassionally get three beeps. The system always powers back on perfectly fine as if it never happened.

Now that I have explained all of that, hopefully you can answer these questions:

1. Are the beeps that occur when going into standby mode anything to worry about?

2. Is my consoles level of heat normal for most owners?

3. Is there a way to monitor the temperature of the console, and if possible, what is the normal operating temperature of a PlayStation 4 console?

4. What should I do if the console is getting to hot, or hotter than the normal user's console?

I have owned my PlayStation 4 console for around 8 months now and have yet to have over heating issues, but I want to get opinions from others. My console is turned on for at least 12, if not more, hours throughout a day, everyday. I have yet to have an overheating problem with my console, but I always get a burning plastic smell from my console, and it is extremely hot near the back right of the console. The console lays down with around a foot of space on all four sides of the console. The table that it sits on is extremely hot to has me extremelythe touch, but not hot enough I can't leave my hand there. I use q-tips and cans of air to clean the vents out at least once a week to ensure that the console is breathing properly. I do not feel any heat coming from the side vents of the console, just the back right of the console where the power cord is plugged into. The amount of hot air pouring out of the vent worried. The air makes the top of the system near the back right hot, the table, and the wires.

When I turn my system off, rather standby mode, I will ocassionally get three beeps. The system always powers back on perfectly fine as if it never happened.

Now that I have explained all of that, hopefully you can answer these questions:

1. Are the beeps that occur when going into standby mode anything to worry about?

2. Is my consoles level of heat normal for most owners?

3. Is there a way to monitor the temperature of the console, and if possible, what is the normal operating temperature of a PlayStation 4 console?

4. What should I do if the console is getting to hot, or hotter than the normal user's console?

1. I think your console might be going out. 3 Beeps means that it probably froze up. Does it actually make it to standby or does it turn off?

2. You probably need to open it up, and clean it or bite a bullet or something. The heat happens even on my newer PS4 it gets hot to the touch but that power cable is incredibly worrying.

3. You are probably better off buying a new console and selling that one to a place that will refurb it than you are buying thermometers and trying to make your PS4 look like it's on life support, or buying $100-200 dollar stuff to measure the heat, and even then that heat measurement won't tell you anything unless you are using it properly, and know heat limits.

4. I would NOT recommend getting an after market cooler. If you want to try to have a temporary solution I guess you could try something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master...&qid=1449419569&sr=8-4&keywords=laptop+cooler

It's quiet because it is a big fan. It should push air up and away from the PS4, and that might help get rid of that burned plastic smell. Which isn't good. Replace that power cable.

I smelled burning plastic I thought maybe it was my AC. The back of the PS4, where the power cable is, got hot and caught on fire. I had to blow it out. System was still working until the power cable fell.

I immediately bought a new PS4. Have not tried to salvage this old one, giving it to a friend who has been fixing PS3s, and consoles, and he knows the risks, and if he gets it working he gives me $100 in compensation.

Which isn't bad considering I paid $350, got Uncharted collection, a new controller, and a $50 giftcard. So that new PS4 will cost me like $80-100 if my friend buys the old one off of me.

Attachments

• 20151008_235208.jpg
    20151008_235208.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20151008_235025.jpg
    20151008_235025.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20151008_235105.jpg
    20151008_235105.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 0
I would recommend using a vacuum hose to clean your system and not q-tips or any sort of compressed air. You could be pushing dust deeper into the system and with the air can, could run the risk of condensation or freezing something delicate inside. The PS4 seems to get hot where you mention it happening, but from what I've read, the system will shut down before overheating.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urithit
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"