Help - I've become obsessed with Metal Gear Solid

Howl Pendragon

PSLS Level: Bronze
So, I've owned Metal Gear Solid 4 for about 2 years now and after becoming really frustrated with the controls within the first hour I threw it to the side.

Now, I just revisited it last week and even though its pretty tough, still it has odd controls, and I'm no good at it, I can't help but love it now and I don't know why. It plays like nothing else out there I've ever experienced and has so much Japanese game quirk and campiness that I have trouble ungluing myself from it whenever I play. Now I've gone and spent lots of time watching MGS V gameplay and trailers, and listening to Snake Eater and Sins of the Father on YouTube.

Please help me understand these feelings
biggrin.png

PS. This is a direct copy of my post on PSN Profiles so sorry if you've already seen this before. I just wanted to spread my newly found love of MGS :p

So, I've owned Metal Gear Solid 4 for about 2 years now and after becoming really frustrated with the controls within the first hour I threw it to the side.

Now, I just revisited it last week and even though its pretty tough, still it has odd controls, and I'm no good at it, I can't help but love it now and I don't know why. It plays like nothing else out there I've ever experienced and has so much Japanese game quirk and campiness that I have trouble ungluing myself from it whenever I play. Now I've gone and spent lots of time watching MGS V gameplay and trailers, and listening to Snake Eater and Sins of the Father on YouTube.

Please help me understand these feelings
biggrin.png

PS. This is a direct copy of my post on PSN Profiles so sorry if you've already seen this before. I just wanted to spread my newly found love of MGS :p

Don't feel bad at all MGS series if any other game does not deserve to provide an addiction MGS delivers.. if you want world politics it has it. if you want gender, racial, emotional conflicts between genders MGS has it.. i love MGS myself..

When MGO ( metal gear online 2 ). Was released i spent about 200hrs on the MGO demo, Over 1500 hrs on the real MGO online. I even purchased the japanese version of MGO, their servers were vitually lag free compared to NA servers.. I spent about 300hrs on the Japanese server until they started ip banning U.S. gamers. Some came there and started teach the japs how to manipulate the server and game code..

When peace walker or rather when the HD collection came out i spent over 300 hrs on peace walker.. I got the platinum for peace walker and MGS3. So don't feel bad about the addition the games are great..

Don't feel bad at all MGS series if any other game does not deserve to provide an addiction MGS delivers.. if you want world politics it has it. if you want gender, racial, emotional conflicts between genders MGS has it.. i love MGS myself..

When MGO ( metal gear online 2 ). Was released i spent about 200hrs on the MGO demo, Over 1500 hrs on the real MGO online. I even purchased the japanese version of MGO, their servers were vitually lag free compared to NA servers.. I spent about 300hrs on the Japanese server until they started ip banning U.S. gamers. Some came there and started teach the japs how to manipulate the server and game code..

When peace walker or rather when the HD collection came out i spent over 300 hrs on peace walker.. I got the platinum for peace walker and MGS3. So don't feel bad about the addition the games are great..
Welcome to the forums, @Glasscut!

This is the kind of passion that I wish I could make myself have for the series. It's incredibly appealing to me, but I can't make myself get into it as much as I would like to.

There's no better series to have these kinds of deep seated feelings for. It's an insane love/hate relationship that only grows stronger with the test of time.

Look out, we have an MGS veteran over here :p
I'll definitely sink a significant amount of time into the Legacy Collection when I get it. The plot I'm missing out on feels like it will be so interesting to learn about.

This is the kind of passion that I wish I could make myself have for the series. It's incredibly appealing to me, but I can't make myself get into it as much as I would like to.
Any idea what's keeping you from getting into it? I know the awkward controls were a big thing that kept me away. I just went in expecting the controls to be mapped out in the traditional way (R2 to frag, Square to crouch, etc.). They take some real getting used to, plus I hear MGS 4 has the most awkward controls out of the series.

There's no better series to have these kinds of deep seated feelings for. It's an insane love/hate relationship that only grows stronger with the test of time.
Its so crazy how close and familiar I feel about the series after seriously playing it for only one week. I can't wait for The Phantom Pain now x)

Any idea what's keeping you from getting into it? I know the awkward controls were a big thing that kept me away. I just went in expecting the controls to be mapped out in the traditional way (R2 to frag, Square to crouch, etc.). They take some real getting used to, plus I hear MGS 4 has the most awkward controls out of the series.
I've only played the first one (several years ago) and the most recent, Ground Zeroes. Both titles were really fun for me, and I sunk several hours into the first one. After finishing the main story of Ground Zeroes, I just thought, "Do I really want to go back and complete all of these other side missions?" Maybe in this era where so many games play similarly, the modern military style loses my interest to fantasy / distant past stylings (ie: Ragnarok / Dynasty Warriors).

I've only played the first one (several years ago) and the most recent, Ground Zeroes. Both titles were really fun for me, and I sunk several hours into the first one. After finishing the main story of Ground Zeroes, I just thought, "Do I really want to go back and complete all of these other side missions?" Maybe in this era where so many games play similarly, the modern military style loses my interest to fantasy / distant past stylings (ie: Ragnarok / Dynasty Warriors).
Ahh, I get ya. The shelves have definitely become completely lined with military/shooters since CoD4. The same thing seems to be happening to the post apocalyptic zombie action adventure games.

I also want to note that following Hideo Kojima on Twitter makes me want to play his games more. I just wish that they were as diverse as he is. :(
Speaking of diverse, it would be interesting to see if he does end up spearheading the next Silent Hill game :p

It's natural to just all of a sudden be like that with a game, that's happened a couple of times to me with some of my other games.

It's natural to just all of a sudden be like that with a game, that's happened a couple of times to me with some of my other games.
It has happened to me a couple of times before, but never to this degree. I usually know ahead of time if I will like, dislike or be sort of "meh" about a game because I check reviews and gameplay extensively beforehand.

What games have you played that grew on you immediately?

It has happened to me a couple of times before, but never to this degree. I usually know ahead of time if I will like, dislike or be sort of "meh" about a game because I check reviews and gameplay extensively beforehand.

What games have you played that grew on you immediately?

Bleach heat the soul series
Sengoku basara series
Gran turismo 5 got me into cars
Metal gear solid i never liked, but then i played mgs4 and now look forward to more
As well as borderlands

Nothing wrong with loving Metal Gear Solid, it's an awesome series. I spent the whole summer when MGS4 came out playing the entire series. I had never beaten any of them except MGS2.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oompa08
Back
monitoring_string = "c4568df34a4eab80a0d9879fe9bce549"